Here are some pictures of my adapted Fenzy escape rebreather. It
is a 1984 NSN4240 and I acquired it without its original O2
bottle. Intrigued by the little rig I set about exploring other
ways to mount a cylinder, basically to see if it could perform
like a latter-day DSEA or a mini ARO.
When I got the rig there was a lot of nasty old foam insulation
and thirty year-old absorbent in the scrubber which had to be
removed. The original overpressure valve was stuck and the O2
inlet manifold had to be sealed, so these issues were fixed as
part of the upgrade. Taking inspiration from the CEDU, I opted
for a field expedient O2 bottle (1ltr / 110 bar) and regulator
from a home welding kit. The bottle is mounted underneath the
counterlung using diving knife straps and a rod passing above
the waist belt fixture. This makes it easy to 'feather' the
valve and add gas as required.
Duration is about 1 hour under minimal workload! Scrubber holds
1.25kg of sorb. I also use a DSV from a Naubos AR88 with it
(pictured). The WOB is slightly worse than the original Fenzy
DSV as it has a smaller bore, but the AR88 DSV makes pre-dive
purges much easier.
It is a cute little pendulum rig for lazy Sundays spent at 5m.
Happy diving and best wishes for 2014!